Thursday, November 18, 2010

Ahi Appetizer



I love being inspired to try new things in my kitchen after a great meal out. My husband and I went to dinner a couple of weeks ago and had a delicious Ahi appetizer. I think it was called "Ahi Poke?" It looked like a miniature layered dessert. I decided to recreate it at home. Some of my "experimentation" doesn't always work, but this one did. I didn't have a recipe and was kicking myself that I didn't get ingredient info. from our food server. That being said, this is my version of what we ate that night.




What I Used


Fresh sushi grade Ahi. Cut it into half inch cubes.

In a small bowl mix the following ingredients together. Adjust heat to your taste.

1/2 teaspoon of Wasabi Powder or Wasabi paste. I used the paste.
1/2 teaspoon of Colman's Mustard. The paste, powder, and mustard can be purchased at Ralph's
1/2 cup of Soy Sauce.

Mix cubed Ahi with enough soy mixture to lightly coat. Save the rest to drizzle on top if necessary.

Guacamole- I'm not going to explain how to make the guac. Just make a basic guacamole with 2 avocados and some, garlic, cilantro, salt and pepper, lemon juice, onion, and tomatoes.

For garnish - Top with some mixed greens or peeled cucumbers sliced into julienne strips.
wanton skins or flour tortillas. Cut into thin strips and fry until crispy.

Assembly
I used a round cookie cutter and started with the guacamole on the bottom.
Next I layered the Ahi mixture.
I topped it with the cucumbers, but will use the greens next time and crispy wanton skins.

Lastly I drizzled a Hoison/Soy mixture around the edge of the plate and served the remainder of the soy mixture for added flavor.





It was delicious!



Thanks for checking it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...